Welcome

Welcome to my blog which is about my family and I and how we deal with what life throws at us, which includes my daughter and her disabilities related to her spina bifida and her death on December 26 2012.

Saturday 7 January 2012

First blog post

Welcome to my blog. I am a 27 year old mother of a 28 month old with spina bifida. She was a surprise in a lot of ways. She has become my angel of light. Janice is a very happy go lucky girl with beautiful blonde hair and blue eyes. Everyone said that her eyes would change but it was her hair that changed from brown to blonde within the first 6 months, despite my being primarily asian and native.

She has been an inspiration and a heart thief from birth. Everyone that meets her falls in love with her. When she was born we were shocked to find out that she had spina bifida and within 8 hours of her birth was flown down to BC Children's hospital. I had to wait til the following morning to follow her down. Before I had even seen her I was approached by one of her doctors and was told how they needed consent to do surgery to close up the hole in her back otherwise she could die from infection, it was one of the scariest moments of my life.
We soon were told that apart from her obvious leg malformations she also had a single horseshoe kidney, small high pressure blatter, and she had a hernia on her right side.

She did not like any of the traditional mobility devices brought in by her physio. I found a child size skateboard about 6 months ago that we have since had modified for her. She loves racing around on it. We had to put a g-tube in October 2010 and developed a bed sore on her back from being on her back after the surgery. We finally just got the bed sore cleared up.

No comments:

Post a Comment