Welcome

Welcome to my blog which is about my family and I and how we deal with what life throws at us, which includes my daughter and her disabilities related to her spina bifida and her death on December 26 2012.

Tuesday 17 December 2013

The meaning of grief

Someone posted this on a forum I frequent and I saw the truth in it.

A psychiatrist in the town who has become a de facto expert in grief since the Sandy Hook massacre. He said something that has been ringing true for me, and I have found comforting. 

He said that he has learned over this last year that grief is actually love. It is not depression, or sadness. It is love when you cannot be with the one that you love. So there is no "getting over it", because how or why would you get over love? He said instead of expecting people to get over it, he now tries to help people find new outlets for that love, like Newtown's Acts of Kindness campaign, or philanthropies, etc. that you cannot get over it, but you can find new expressions of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment